Goal: To understand that craters are a common feature of terrestrial
Grade Levels: K - 6th Grades
Students will use this hands-on activity to produce a model of a
crater planetary surface.
- Mix approximately 2 tablespoons of joy detergent, 2 tablespoons of tempra paint, and 1/2 cup of water into each bowl.
- Stir mixture in each bowl with craft stick.
- Cover table with newspaper or place newspaper underneath each bowl.
- Set-up a table with bowls to serve as stations for students to rotate.
- Give each student a straw and have them blow bubbles in the bowl. The bubbles should grow above the rim of the bowl.
- Have the student take the construction paper and lay it carefully on top of the mass of bubbles. The pressure of the paper will pop the bubbles and produce a circular crater-like surface.
- Allow the paper to set for a few moments before picking it up.
- Dry in front of the box fan.